Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Our Brave Little Man goes Back to School...

We've been counting the days for the past month, crossing them off one by one until September 5th finally arrived. Two weeks ago we met his new teacher and future classmates at St. M's Preschool Open House and he's been talking about them ever since. He was up bright and early this morning. He wanted to go back to "Ms. Kara's school" so it took a little coaxing to get him to agree to go back to St. M's.J. was gifted a beautiful book by his friends Kenzie, Braden and Kylie in honor of his first day of school. It is called The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn. It is a precious book about the first day of school and the many fears Chester Raccoon is feeling. Chester's Mommy gives him a big kiss in his left hand and it serves as his reminder that no matter where he is, his Mommy loves him. When he feels scared or sad he can look at his kiss and be reminded of her love. Chester Raccoon then gives his Mommy a kiss in her left hand and tells her the same. Yes, quite the tearjerker for those of us who are Moms. So, we read the book Tuesday night and this morning before his first day. We put the sticker on his left hand and off to school we went.When we arrived at St. M's this was our conversation...

J: Mommy, I don't need my sticker anymore because I am brave
M: Yes, buddy, you are SO brave and you are going to have such a fantastic first day of school... (blah blah...insert encouraging Mommy talk here)
J: Here Mommy, you take MY sticker and wear it
M: Are you sure J.?
J: Yes, you put it right here (sticking it on my arm) and when you miss me you can remember that J. loves you
M: Thank you J. (holding back the shower of happy tears)
J: Don't lose it Mommy, OK?
M: I won't Buddy, I promise

I put on MY brave Mommy face and held back the tears as I walked our little man to his classroom. The first time he was admitted to Children's Hospital at seven weeks old, his night shift nurse told me her story of how every night before bed she told her son "you are brave and you are loved". Her words really stuck with me. From that night forward I have told him "You are strong and sweet and smart and brave and Mommy loves you!" Today he proved just how strong and brave he really is. It is moments like this that I am overwhelmed by the privilege of being his Mother.
Here is the annual first day of school photo op with his new teacher. I am happy to report he had a FANTASTIC first day. Hopefully, there are many many MANY more to come.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

So proud of you, J! Hope you have a great year at St. M's.

He looks like such a big boy in that photo on your steps...

Anonymous said...

Way to go J.!! Grammy is very proud of you!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of your moving on to BIG boy school. Even now that you are big, you still have a special place in my heart!
I can't wait to hear all about your new school!
Ms. Kara