Sunday, November 25, 2007

Happy 5th Birthday to our little man...

Our little man turns five years old today. Wasn't it just yesterday we held our little blue eyed wonder for the first time? Daddy's eyes, Mommy's nose and head full of the darkest hair you have ever seen. Wasn't it just yesterday our whole world changed in an instant. Five years has flown by so quickly...so many stories...so many memories...so many hearts filled with love for one amazing little boy. This month has been full of Debbie Downer posts so I'll spare you any more. Happy Birthday little man. You are strong. You are sweet. You are smart. You are brave. You are loved...today, tomorrow and always.






My little son and I
--author unknown

I took his eager little hand-
I let him lead the way
I didn't do the laundry
There's more important things today.
The wall has tiny handprints
From jam and butter toast,
Instead of tidying up a bit
We took the path he chose.
We had a grand adventure,
My little son and I,
We built a fort of sticks and stones
With windows to the sky.
We watched the clouds make sheep and bears
and a giant dinosaur.
To him the world's a playground
to wander and explore.
We waded in a bubbling brook
where minnows swim with ease.
We watched a robin feed her young,
then she floated on the breeze.
We found a glade down in the woods
And now my small son knows
How mama squirrel hides her nest
Where the mighty oak tree grows.
You see he is the oak tree
Just a sappling on its way,
to grander, greater, nobler things
A King he'll be someday.
My dishes went unwashed today,
I didn't make the bed,
And if my windows do not shine
His eyes will shine instead.
I didn't sweep the floors,
there are cobwebs on the stair,
In twenty years, no one around will know
or even care.
But I have helped my tiny boy
To a handsome young man grow,
and those who knew him as a child
Will look, and see, and know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday J!!!

Courtney said...

Okay, I didn't expect to cry on a Happy Birthday post... but I love this poem. =) Happy B-day, J!