and all is right with the world... That's right folks. NKOTB is reuniting! That would be New Kids on the Block for all of you very uncool people out there. Ahhhh, reminisce with me...
I remember back in the day when I had a full length door poster of the whole group. Back when a super duper softball sized button of Joey McIntyre encircled by quarter sized group buttons were proudly placed on my left shoulder on any random day. Would you believe that I still have one of those buttons in my "childhood trunk" in the attic? Yes, I'm sure some of you who know me well can believe it. It's part of my childhood people. At least I only have ONE. Would you believe that I had a black hat just like the one Jordan Knight has on in the photo above? The only difference was mine had sparkly studs on the front to give just a hint of girly girl while still remaining authentic. I proudly wore it with my NKOTB t-shirt and button shrine. I was the coolest of the coolest. Ah--I digress--back when my Mom and step-Dad bought us (my step-sister and I) tickets to our first concert. He took us and endured screeching little girl ear damage because we "loved" them so. I remember screaming "I love you Joey McIntyre" at the top of my lungs along with CB (and every other little girl in the state).
I can still recite most of their popular song lyrics but only if I hear the music. Funny, don't ask me what I did on Monday but I can remember the words to "Please don't go Giiiiiirrrrrrlllll". I even remember listening to the song "This ones for the children" and crying my little eyes out. See, I had this little heart for adoption back in the day and I didn't even recognize it. I just knew somehow I wanted to save the world and this song was my mantra at the time. :-)
Anywhoodle (as my friend Kim likes to say), on that note I must leave you with one of my all time fav-o-rites. I was a super funky fresh girl because I could "rap" to this song. You know, because this was boy band rap and it was much nicer than regular trash mouth rap that all the boys were listening to...
oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
Listen up everybody if you wanna take a chance.
(rap:) just get on the floor and do the new kids dance.
Dont worry bout nothing cause it wont take long.
(rap:) were gonna put you in a trance with a funky song, cause you gotta be
Hangin tough, hangin tough, hangin tough.
(rap:) were rough.
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh. oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
Everybodys always talkin bout whos on top.
(rap:) dont cross our path cause youre gonna get stomped.
We aint gonna give anybody any slack.
(rap:) and if you try to keep us down were gonna come right back,
And you know were
Hangin tough, hangin tough, hangin tough.
(rap:) are you tough enough?
Hangin tough, hangin tough, hangin tough.
(rap:) were rough.
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh. oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh. oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
Get loose everybody cause were gonna do our thing.
(rap:) cause you know it aint over till the fat lady sings.
Hangin tough, hangin tough, hangin tough.
(rap:) are you tough enough?
Hangin tough, hangin tough, hangin tough.
(rap:) were rough.
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, just hangin tough, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, hangin tough.
(repeat & fade)
We have music war at my house because Daddy always wants to know where I was in the 80's/90's. Yes, I was singin' a little Reba and a little of the Judds. That is true. BUT I finally have an answer for him. I was sitting in front of my dual tape deck stereo system (complete with tape/record storage and a glass door on the front) strategically timing how many seconds it took the fast forward button to reach my next fav-o-rite NKOTB song (on "side A", of course). Boy, kids now days don't even have to be methodical about getting to the next song. They just hit the advance button and they're there. I guess this is where I should say when I was a kid we walked to school, everyday, barefooted, up hill, both ways, in the snow. hehehehe.
Welcome back NKOTB! We'll have to see if you still have "The Right Stuff" twenty years later. I must say you look pretty handsome for five almost 40's men in a boy band. I wonder if they are still considered a boy band now that they aren't boys?
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
the right stuff...






7 comments:
Ok this is hilarious. I had no idea! My dad endured them and took me and friends to my first concert too! LOL!!
NO WAY! This is absolutely hilarious. I was in high school when they were the big thing... and I think most of them are close to my age. I must say, I'm not sure I was ever a big fan, but some of the music still sticks in my head. I'm happy for you... but I don't think I'll be attending a reunion concert! I'm more of a Bon Jovi girl... April 24th, baby... I'm there!
hehe... giggling at the thought of you wearing _multiple_ NKOTB BUTTONS on your clothes. =) Where's the picture to prove it???? THAT's what I want to see!
Lovin it... you must know that I "dated" a boy who I really did not know AT ALL... only because he looked like Joey. And one day he rode his skateboard all the way across town to visit me at my house. SERIOUSLY!!??
I would leave a comment, but I'm actually speechless! LOL
I heard that the other day on the radio and thought it was a joke!! I meant to search it on the internet to see if it was true {and I forgot!}
Now about your post - Uhmmmm that was some Funny-CHEEZE!!! I really never was a fan - but I was forced to go to the concert {by my MOM of all people!} It too was my first concert evah!!!
I'm not so ashamed to say that I'm the only girl I know that didn't have a crush on NKOTB.......didn't even own a tape (unless you count the christmas single someone gave to me as a gift). I was too busy being googly eyed over Corey Haim and that tanned cutie on my bus named Christian that was way older than me.. ..That's a whole 'nother story.
Post a Comment