Saturday, June 21, 2008

Take me out to the ball game...

"I have a sport. You wanna know what my sport is? It's called baseball". That, my friends, is our little mans' favorite line these days. He's happy to share it with friends and strangers alike.

Today was our first baseball game as sideline parents. It was interesting (read: hysterrical). The "Mets" have only had two practices and one of those was the getting-to-know-you night. Clearly the blue team had more than two because they knew what the heck was going on. The "Mets"? Well, they get an A for effort. All 14 orange shirts running across the field to pick up one little baseball. But aren't they cute in their orange shirts and baseball hats?
First hit of the season...
Giving us the thumbs up from second base...
J (on 2nd base) adjusting his helmet for the 40th time. He had to hold it up with both hands while running just so he could see where he was going. Oh, and note how the blue team is paying such close attention to the batter :-)
J got so upset with his teammates because HE wanted to get the ball when it came out (never mind the other 13 players). I'm not sure what exactly happened. I took this picture and next thing I know another player on his team pushed him. Then J proceeded to give him the big Charlie Brown full arm rotation wind up before the coach pulled them apart. Great. It's the first day and he's already talking smack on the field... This would be after the altercation when J proclaimed to our side of the field that "those boys are cheaters". The coach is trying to convince him they aren't (but that kid pushed my baby so if he wants to call him a cheater...JK...maybe). This is the part where Daddy wanted to shout THERE IS NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! Anyone remember what movie that was from?The Mets won the game (but so did the blue team--shhhh--don't tell J). This is one of those "we're all winners--no keeping score" kind of leagues. For now, we like it that way. And I'm sure you are all wondering what little miss did while her brother was becoming a baseball celebrity...
She ran around (while we chased her), ate suckers (while complaining about sticky hands), dropped her paci in the grass about 17 times and poured water all over herself from a big girl bottle. I don't think she's much of a baseball fan... one down...six more to go...I'm not sure I'm an outdoor sport kind of Mom. I'm really hoping he'll be a basketball kind of guy (AKA an indoor sport). I don't really like to be outside in 90 degree heat for hours at a time. BUT, if he likes it I'll always be there to cheer him on (even if I look like one of those Sweatin' to the Oldies girls by the end of the game).

3 comments:

Rachel Spence said...

Yeah JTW! You go boy! and don't take smack from those other kids...you can take em. hee hee

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the cute little Mets! Where's the picture of the wind-up? That's a photo worthy moment, dontcha think? =)

Sonja said...

Movie: A League of Their Own (pretty sure. about the women's baseball team with Tom Hanks and maybe Madonna and Gena Davis).

Your blog confuses me. You are the only person I know that requres that you scroll down through a hundred old posts to find a new one.I'm accepting it though. It's YOUR blog, not mine :)