Instead of being snuggled in their warm beds, Daddy and J spent last night in a tent in 44 degree weather. They attended the annual Father Son Camp-out sponsored by the Children's Ministry at our church. Sounds like torture to me but J thought it was the best thing EVER! We are not exactly the outdoorsy kind of family so before they could attend Daddy had to make a little trip to the camping store. You know, for necessites like a tent, sleeping bags, lanterns, etc. I guess most families already have that stuff but not the Womble 4. Did I mention we are not the outdoorsy type? Anyway, I threatened life and limb if someone didn't come home with pictures for the scrapbook (AKA blog). This time someone took my threats seriously. :-)
According to J, this is a photo of "me standing in front of the tent REALLY REALLY REALLY LATE at night. It was AWESOME!" Obviously the bedtime police force members were still at home. To recap the evening, the boy's grilled hamburgers and hotdogs, made smores, played football, went on a flashlight hike and took a hayride before calling it a night at 10:30 pm. This picture was taken right before bed and you can see how tired he was by his eyes. Do not ask me why he doesn't have his hat and gloves on when it is 40ish degrees outside. You'll need to ask my husband. :-l
This picture made me laugh. From the look on his face, it must of been a rough night. No, that is not Starbuck's in his cup...just hot chocolate.
After breakfast, the boys spent the morning playing more football. Daddy said J ran and ran and RAN . He had no idea what he was doing but he hung in there with all the big boys. 
I have several random pictures of the field they camped and the row of trucks and tents. Clearly there was a man behind the camera but beggars can't be choosers. Considering this is the first time he has actually taken the camera out of the case I'll take what I can get.
This photo is noteworthy for the content. We will not discuss the boys burning sticks around a camp fire without an adult in sight. We will not discuss the hayride they took...on a country road...driven by a tractor WITHOUT LIGHTS. We will not discuss the beebee guns and archery lessons on Saturday morning. Thankfully my boys left before the guns and arrows came out. Thankfully.
Daddy and J had THE BEST TIME so I'm pretty sure there are more camping weekends in our future. We no longer have the "no tent...no camping stuff" excuse and a little boy I know is not going to let us forget. I think they had a wonderful Father-Son weekend...hopefully a new tradition they will enjoy for many years to come.
Saturday, October 18, 2008
Father Son Camp-out...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment