There is something so enchanting, so captivating, that happens the moment you step on Disney property. Seeing Walt Disney World through the eyes of my children makes it all the more magical. It's like a fairy-tale; though instead of reading about the fairy-tale, you are part of the magic. In my opinion, from a vacation standpoint, it truly is the "Happiest Place on Earth".
Lucky for us, we tagged along with Daddy for this Disney vacation. While he was in meetings at another resort, I flew solo the first three days (though he did join us briefly Wednesday & Thursday afternoon) . It was no small feat taking a 6 and 2 year old to Magic Kingdom alone but we had an amazing time. There were a few hairy moments when I wondered why I thought this was such a great idea; but, for the most part J and MG were very cooperative.
All three of our days without Daddy were basically the same. Get up, dressed and packed up, breakfast, monorail to Magic Kingdom, lunch, back to resort for nap, dinner, monorail to Magic Kingdom, fireworks, bedtime. Staying at a monorail resort was the BEST decision we made. I could push my double stroller on and off with the children riding safely inside. I could stash all of the extras underneath and hang my backpack on the handle. The children could eat and drink while I served as their limo driver. I didn't have to listen to whining about all of the walking or worry about them getting lost in the crowds. At first, J was less than thrilled about riding in a "baby stroller" as he called it. Once he realized how much walking was involved at WDW he was happy to "catch a ride" with his sister.
Highlights from Day 2 & 3 L to R (click to enlarge):
1. Silly boy and his accomplice 2a. Peeking at Mickey's Messy Kitchen at Mickey's House 2b. Mickey and gang at the morning performance 3. Cinderella and her Prince 4a. First carousel ride 4b. MG avoiding Pluto at all cost 5a. J driving while Daddy protected his neck from whiplash 5b. M&M at morning performance 6. J and Pluto 7a. Riding Dumbo (yes, I rode with them) 7b. the Royal Court 8. the awe and wonder of "It's a Small World"
Just in case you are still undecided, it was confirmed to me today that boys are genetically programmed to push girls buttons. The first thing J said before they opened the gate at the Mad Hatter Tea Party (AKA Tea Cups) was "I'm going to make it go really really fast so you girls get sick". Nice. Twice I thought MG was going to lose her breakfast. Her face says it all..."This is AWESOME but I'm feeling a little strange Mommy". I had to carry her out she was so dizzy when the ride ended but what did she want to do...RIDE IT AGAIN! RIDE IT AGAIN! HA! This was MG's favorite ride. See the "Cheese Face" in the before shot below (top right).
Our one major snafu this trip was with Daddy. He had a cold before we left but became very sick once we landed in Orlando. He tried to tough it out but by Wednesday evening he miserable. The manager of Kona Cafe, one of our resort restaurants, referred us to an urgent care in the Disney area with free transportation. How cool is that? They know many people come to Walt Disney World without personal vehicles so they provide transportation (knowing you will be using their medical services and on-site pharmacy). Anyway, they picked him up about 6:30 and he made it back to our resort shortly before midnight. Just as we suspected...bad sinus infection...lots of powerful drugs...should be good as new. In the words of the Urgent Care Doctor... "If you get sick on vacation we'll hook you up with some REAL drugs".
So, while Daddy was waiting at Urgent Care, the kiddos and I went back to Magic Kingdom to see "Wishes". We saw it several times in 2005 during J's first trip to Disney. See how much he has grown?Three years later it was still as amazing. At the time, we were celebrating several HUGE milestones in J's life. In 2005, I stood behind my boys and cried like a baby as the little girl sang these words...
Star light, star bright
First star I see tonight
I wish I may I wish I might
have the wish I wish tonight
We'll make a wish, and do as dreamers do
And all our wishes (all our wishes)
all our wishes
will come true
I again found myself crying tears of joy as I watched that same little boy and his sister taking in the magic of "Wishes". They were mesmerized by every second.
Our last visit I had no idea MG would ever exist and now I can't imagine our family without her. I am so thankful that God knew my wishes, my prayers, were not the ones that were best for our family. In those moments, I couldn't help but wonder what three more years will bring to our family. This time I've decided to keep my wishes to myself. I have learned that one wish can be granted "beyond all I can ask or think" if I will stop trying to figure it all out.






No comments:
Post a Comment