Saturday, July 18, 2009

Does this scare the begeebeez out of anyone else?

14 hours--39,000 feet in the sky--on a very large metal tube...

*Option A equates to about 7 hours above the Pacific Ocean...

*Option B spends over half the flight time above some of the coldest most remote polar regions of the planet...
Where's the Calgon? The brown bag? The happy drugs? I need them all now just thinking about it. The Chief says he would like to have all of the above x 10 since he has to sit beside me no matter which option we choose. I am SURE he will be wishing he could sit on the opposite side of the plane on that big day.

{To the Chief--just in case you are considering it--not a choice--you married me--it was in the fine print--must hold wife's hand and subsequently endure gradual loss of circulation during labor and flights for the sake of love and marital bliss.}

OK--I must stop researching flight options. I can do all things....I can do all things....I can do all things....

6 comments:

AwesomeCloud and family said...

Hey, you should read my airplane safety post.

Remember, flying is one of the lowest-risk things we're going to be doing. Commercial flights are extremely low-risk. What's unnerving is the idea of falling thousands of feet in a blaze of fiery glory, but that pretty much never happens. Almost all airplane emergencies are completely survivable and do not involve explosions.

When you get on the plane, read the safety card. It will make you feel better. You'll feel more in control of the situation. And if you're sensitive to plane crash scenes in movies, don't watch any.

Wuxi Mommy said...

A little bit of Valium goes a long way......across oceans and the bitterly cold arctic! We took the "over the top of the world" route over the coldest parts of the world, and I was definately freaked out about it. But Peanut kept me pretty distracted and the meds did the rest:) You might do better than you think.....I think we all surprised ourselves!

Rachel Spence said...

Chief {not for Mommy's eyes}--forget all the drugs, happy pills, airplane bottles of ?? YOU, my friend, are gonna need a tranquilizer. :) Hope you are good friends with your veterinarian. LOL! I've been thinking about this and that I think is the best, safest for everyone around option you got, man, sorry. Wait til she is safely in her seat--then hit her with it. She'll never know what happened. Flight's long enough it will wear off in time. hee hee

Mommy--it will be fine just don't think about it. Remember what you are going over there for and HEY at least on the way back you are gonna have a BIG distraction. :) P.S. don't read above comment to the Chief.

Ya know I love ya. =) Remember I've ridden on a plane with ya before---twice!

Sonja said...

Yes, let me second the statement...." I must stop researching flight options"..... stop doing that. Stop it.

Wife of the Pres. said...

If I can do it, you can too. Believe me!!! We as you know chose option B and the pilot was WONDERFUL. ;)

Kateri said...

We chose the direct flight which took us over land...option B...the cold route. I must say, I was relieved. I HATE to fly...was NOT happy about 14 hours in the air..but somehow took comfort in being able to see land below. All that water would have done me in, I think.
I also planned to drug myself for the flight...then our 8 yr old daughter decided that she wanted to go, so the only the medication I took was motion sickness related. Looking back, it wasn't that bad, though I'm not jumping on the plane ready to do it again anytime soon.
My only recommendation...if you can afford to buy your little one a seat for the flight home, DO IT!!! We thought that there would surely be an extra seat on the plane but it was full to capacity. I had to hold her for 14 hours and she didn't like to be touched when she was sleeping. TALK ABOUT MISERABLE!!!! I'll never forget it...but it did distract me from all of the thoughts of the plane going down ;) I'm sure the rest of the passengers didn't appreciate her screaming though!!