We awoke to a BEAUTIFUL view from our Hong Kong hotel window--blue skies and happy clouds to begin what was to be the longest, most stressful day of our 16 day trip. We were up at 6 am to prepare for our departure and Skype with Wild Man and Little Miss before we took to the friendly skies. On CST, we started our day Wednesday at 5 pm though technically we began on Thursday morning Hong Kong time. Thus the title...26 hours of travel time from HK airport to home airport...40 hours of travel time from Guangzhou to home airport. Any way you look at it, it equates to the Never Ending Thursday.
We had no problems at the airport and breezed through the health inspection area without a second glance at MeiMei's rash. Woohooooo a second time! The airport itself and the views outside the terminal were amazing. I wish I had taken more photographs while we were there but I was so anxious I forgot all about the camera. Once we found our departure gate, we spent $117 HK dollars on drinks and breakfast at Starbucks. Before you have a stroke that's only about $15 USD but $117 looks ridiculous on a receipt from Starbucks. If only they had told us the 5 drinks we bought for the plane were not allowed past the jetway. Ugh--NOW you tell us!!We boarded our chariot for the next 15.5 hours and took off at 10:25 am as scheduled. Homeward BOUND!!!! We were all less than thrilled to be on A plane but ECSTATIC to be on THE plane that would take us home to the US.
I can't tell you how many times we looked at each other and said, "Oh no, they seated us in the wrong cabin. Our seats are in the front of the bus?" "Where's the warm nuts? The grapes and fancy cheese? The ice cream sundaes?" "What? No linen napkins? No Continental china? No fresh rolls? No butter patted in little shapes?" LOL! We had to find some kind of humor to keep us sane. I had mediocre hopes for the food but we drew the short straw this go round. For lunch...steamed sole or black bean chicken anyone? For snack...chicken fajita wrap with WARM gooey lettuce? For breakfast...egg omelet or noodles? I would like to note that the omelet was called an omelet but there was nothing inside. Soooo...doesn't that make it a scrambled egg? Maybe omelet sounds more gourmet? Either way, the Chief and I ate a roll and a few bites of vanilla ice cream over the 15 hour flight. The best part of the menu was the fact they had Mr. Pibb on the drink cart. You can keep your nasty black bean chicken. Just hook me up with a Mr. Pibb. Now it was not the real deal but it came close to giving me the Dr. Pepper fix I NEEDED.
The good news for the day was somewhere between Russia and the North Pole MeiMei decided I wasn't Satan reincarnate. Actually, it wasn't the greatest timing considering I was on the verge of throwing up most of the flight but I guess beggars can't be choosers. It's scenarios like this that confirm to me that the Lord has a
She slept a total of two hours and the Chief and I slept less than that. Apparently no one in the Womble family can sleep on an airplane. I would look at the screen and it would say something like "7869 miles to your destination". In what felt like an hour later, I would look again and it would say "7861 miles to your destination". At one point, in my delirium, I said "I think I can DRIVE HOME faster than this". Believe me, I would have attempted if there wasn't that thing called an ocean between us. I did not think we would EVER get over Russia--do you know how stinkin' big Russia is? It's huge! HUGE I tell ya!
We landed in Newark on Thursday at 1:30 pm, 30 minutes ahead of schedule. Wooohoooo! We handed over the INFAMOUS brown envelope to the immigration officer and breathed a huge sigh of relief. I wanted to know what was inside but the Consulate made it very clear it was NOT to be opened by anyone except immigration. Once we relinquished it to the immigration officer, he said, "You know, they act like this is such a top secret document. It's really not that big of a deal. You already have copies of almost everything in here anyway." We had been guarding that thing with our lives since our Swearing In Ceremony thinking the world might stop if we cracked a corner. LOL!
MeiMei automatically became a United States citizen the second her feet hit the ground in Newark. I purposely made sure her feet did not touch until I had camera in hand. This is the official moment MeiMei Womble became an All American girl. She wasn't going for the "waving the American flag while smiling sweetly" pose I've been hoping for all these years. Instead we have the "expression-less non-waving feeble attempt to pacify me while Daddy bribed her with fruit snacks" photo opportunity. After 15 hours of misery, I didn't make many attempts before I threw in the towel. This one will have to do...






15 comments:
So glad you survived it! Ours was about 26 hours total too - even though we live on the west coast. Torture, but thankfully Li Li didn't cry all that much. Is she still happier with you?
Welcome HOME MeiMei! We are so happy for all of you. Looking forward to more pics of the arrival.
She looks adorable. One day hopefully that flag will be precious to her. BTW our family flew on the first direct flight from San Juan to Chicago - many years ago. Not as long as your flight but we got into a horrible storm and the stewardess strapped my brother and I three straps across as as lie down in the seats. My dad said there were a lot of journalists on board and all of them were very ill.......
Yeah for your all American girl! Your post indicates that you have a sense of humor. Sometimes all you can do is laugh so you don't cry.....
Welcome home!
so that was the easy part now you just have to make it thru the next 25 years till her husband comes and gets her LOLOL
Your a brave family
Yikes! I'm so glad that flight home is behind you. Sounds like a killer! I've been praying for you, hoping you're getting over your jet lag.
Welcome to the USA, meimei!
Be blessed,
Courtney
awesome...and congratulations!
Love this! Sorry the plane ride wasn't fun, but I imagine that is how everyone who adopts feels about that flight. Yuck. I read somewhere that they used to deliver the babies to you...you just went to the airport. That might be nice.
Hi!
I stumbled on your blog through Kelly's Korner and I love it! You are going through an amazing journey and I can't believe what a strong woman you are! I have always said that people who adopt are very special and I love reading about your journey. Just wanted to let you know that I am praying for your family.
-Kelsey
www.kelseysisland.blogspot.com
Hurrah!!! MeiMei Welcome to the USA! Grammy is so glad you all are home in the US and cant wait to meet you at the airport! The excitement is building as the time grows near. Jetlag has to be awful. I cant imagine how exhausted you will be.
Love Grammy
A little comedy relief! Too funny! So exciting to see photos of little MeiMei standing on US turf. She is precious and beautiful.
Girl, I know it was a rough day... but the homecoming was so worth it. So glad to share a little piece of it with you.
And just so you know, you can fill out a form to request those documents. I did and got stuff from Eliza's birth ( I know different situation) that I had not been given including the official report from the midwife.
I recommend it.
So glad to hear you survived the flight. I was TERRIFIED to get on that plane with Libby, but she ended up being an absolute champ. I'm so glad you survived it, and I can totally relate to looking at the # of miles left in the flight and wanting to stand up and scream!!! Anyway, welcome home to you and MeiMei!
Yeah, this pretty much sums up that flight. We don't have the feet on the ground photo b/c S's feet never touched in Chicago. Immigration was waiting as we exited our plane, they took us on a fast track, had our luggage waiting and we were off to our private jet (not really, it was TINY). But we were still glad to have it b/c S needed the oxygen at that point in a bad way … and United would not let her have it from Chicago to home.
Anyway, the flight home was just a means to an end for sure. Hope you are doing better.
Welcome home dear Womble family. I can promise you that in one month's time you will have a different scenerio to report on. Hang in there, take it from one who has just made it through the one month mark myself. These will be a few tough weeks, and I mean tough, and then one day you will realize it suddenly became doable and even really good.
Looking forward to sharing that day with you, please be sure to post it when it comes.
Love-
Tammy Jones
Post a Comment