Do you have any idea how long I have been waiting to use that title?
The flight from Newark was only a few hours but it felt about as long as the one from Hong Kong. We were hoping for the "beam me up Scottie" approach but apparently that only happens in the movies. One minute on that plane was too long for us. We landed on time around 7 pm. Coming from Newark that was a miracle in itself. Thank you Lord!
On approach, as we began to recognize the familiar below, I could not contain the Charlie Brown tears. It was (and still is) so hard to believe we went all the way to China, met our daughter and came HOME with her in our arms. HOME-- there truly is no place like HOME. We
Coming down those stairs, I have never been filled with more JOY--exhausted and emotional joy--but pure JOY nonetheless. I had promised myself (since I had a lot of time to think during my 15.5 hours of misery) that I was not going to turn into a weeping mess at the airport. I didn't want to scare the begeebeez out of MeiMei. She had just decided I wasn't the devil so I certainly wasn't going to mess that up with the scary-ugly cry. I'll be the first to admit it took every ounce of emotional energy to keep the flood gates locked up tight.
First, at our request, we were greeted by our two FAV-O-RITE blond haired little people who were about to explode. They were waving cute little MeiMei signs and jumping up and down with excitement.

We squeezed each other until it hurt. Then we switched little people and did it again. And again...and again... It IS possible to miss someone so much it hurts. Make that TWO someones...
This one makes me teary every time I look at it...
How did they react? After a few hugs and "I MISSED YOU SOOOOO MUCH" sentiments, they were all about MeiMei. As for MeiMei, I think she was in shock but she did SO well. She took it all in and never shed a single tear. Her pal Mrs. Kim knew how to win her over from the very beginning. Did you know the power of a DumDum sucker crosses all language barriers?

What a blessing it was to be greeted by family and friends. The sea of familiar faces at the end of those stairs was one of the most BEAUTIFUL sights we have ever seen. Ever. For as long as we live, we both agree, we will never forget it. Ever. To each of you who took the time to hang out at an airport on a Thursday night to welcome home our daughter with open arms...THANK YOU! That seems so inadequate considering both of us could have squeezed the life right out of you with each and every hug. We were THAT happy to see you. :-) You have stood beside us through this long and stressful journey and your presence meant more to us than you will ever know. 

(We're missing a few people in the photos but these were the only group shots captured)
I love this picture of Laura and Rachel, two of my besties in the whole wide world. Inside the sling is Rachel's new baby Eli. He was born seven days earlier while we were in China. Yes, that's right. She had her 4th c-section the week before and still made it to the airport to meet MeiMei. Anyway, we joked our entire "pregnancies" (hers physical--mine on paper) that she would have "Baby Noname" while we were in China. Much to our dismay we were right. Instead of meeting our babies at a hospital, as we have the other five times, we met them on the same day in an airport. One newborn. One 18 month old. Both equally as miraculous as the five who came before them.
Funny story (well, not really funny but)...We were a few steps from the baggage claim escalator when we were greeted by a couple who recognized the Chief. What I didn't know was it was one of his pals from Men's Fraternity (and his wife) who came to the airport to greet us. What I didn't know was they were being so thoughtful by coming up to help us with our carry-ons so we could greet everyone downstairs. The most important thing I didn't know was the Chief stopped briefly to talk to them when I thought he was two steps behind me. About the time I turned around to talk to him I heard clapping and a gleefully familiar scream from this little one...
I glanced down the stairs to find Wild Man and Little Miss below and there was no stoppin' this Momma after that. I immediately darted down the stairs...with MeiMei on my hip...without my better half at my side.
Oops! According to the camera time stamp he was about a minute behind me on the escalator. Luckily the paparazzi was there to record one of my finest moments.Today, Thursday September 24th, 2009 was MeiMei's introduction to her new world. A world full of people who have loved her and prayed for her before they laid eyes upon her precious face. A world with a big sister who'll share her toys, her kisses and teach her how to be a girly girl. A world with a big brother who'll tickle her tummy until her sides hurt, share silly jokes and show her how to play Wii. A world with a Daddy, a FOREVER Daddy, who will protect her from the boogey man (and the boys who are sure to ring our doorbell someday). One who will teach her how to praise God, drive a car and understand the rules of football. A Father who will walk beside her on the first day of school from Kindergarten to college. And someday, if she meets that special someone, he'll walk beside her down the aisle on her wedding day. He'll give her away to a man who will promise to love her forever (but not nearly as much as he does). What a lucky girl she is to have a Father like him. And last, but certainly not least, a world with a Mommy. Not a first Mommy. Not a temporary foster Mommy. A FOREVER Mommy. One who will kiss her boo-boo's, help her with homework and take her for pedicures. A Mother who will smother her with hugs, kisses and a mountain of prayer. A Mommy who will cuddle when she's sweet and forgive her when she's sassy. A Mommy who will teach her the importance of loving God and loving people above all else. A Mommy who will attempt to answer hard questions about her beginning and wipe away her tears when she doesn't understand. A FOREVER Mommy who will love her unconditionally every minute of every day forever and always. Welcome home MeiMei!
With time we pray you will grow to love us as much as we love you. In the meantime, we promise to meet you where you are until that day arrives.






5 comments:
I am crying happy tears here! What a fabulous homecoming! I can't wait to read your next post!
So glad to see the pictures of such a beautiful day. I'm super happy to hear that MeiMei is coming around. Praise God.
That was a beautiful post. I was crying as I read it. I am a friend of Sissy and Charlie. I went to college with Sissy and I have been following her adoption blog. I found a link to your blog in one of her blog posts. I have a huge desire to adopt...I always have. My husband and I were just married in June and have already faced a few trials together which have strengthened our relationship. We have suffered two miscarriages and I have to undergo testing this week to possibly determine a cause. Now more than ever I have a desire to adopt. I want a forever family and it does not matter where that child comes from. I do need prayers for my husband that he will meet me on this road to have a family through adoption.
I thank you for your posts and I will continue to pray for your family.
--Kristy
Sheesh, your posts always get me and make me cry. It's Sunday afternoon and I am checking in on all my favorite people, and I am so glad you finally got around to posting this story! I knew the airport moments were going to be so special and sweet and full of emotion. Even if you did forget your husband at one point!
I am glad you guys are doing well!
Oh it was such a sweet sweet homecoming to watch!! Little Miss and Wild Man were SO stinkin' excited for you guys to come down that escalator! I am laughing because I just figured you were running ahead of the Chief I didn't realize the story. hee hee!! I wouldn't have missed that moment for the world--meeting Mei Mei has been a LONG time coming! {can my face look any fatter in that picture?!! ugh} :)
Post a Comment