Saturday, September 12, 2009

Day 4: The Great Wall really IS GREAT!

Today we visited the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall of China. It's about an hour and a half outside Beijing city but sooooo worth the drive. We walked through a sea of little shops before catching the chair lift up to the top of the mountain. I know some of you are about to have a stroke reading this. Me--Heights--Dangling mid-air from a thin wire cable. Sounds like fun doesn't it? Yes. I liked it about as much as being trapped on an airplane for 15 hours but I did not come all the way to China to be a weenie. By the time we made it to the top I was ready to shoot the Chief. He thought it was hysterical to point below, threaten to shake the chair and say things like "Here it comes!" and "What goes up must come down". Grrrrrr...

The views from the top were absolutely breathtaking. Mutianyu was partially restored in the 80's and is one of the nicer sections of the Great Wall. I snapped a few pictures of the unrepaired section in ruins in the distance. The contrast was obvious. Along the wall there were several vendors spread out along the paths selling snacks, bottled water, etc. One of them had a donkey "parked" below the bottom of the sidestair. Each day they haul drinks and snacks up the mountain from their home in a nearby village to sell to tourists. It takes them 1.5 hours one way to get to the top of the Great Wall. That evening they haul it all back down only to do it all again the next morning. Can you imagine?


I am not going to attempt to describe the beauty of this area. I'll let a few of the 200 photos I took speak for themselves...






This one is for you Sonjie...

After a couple of hours we rode the toboggan down to the base of the mountain. Super COOL (except the guys in front of us were a little pokie). Then Angela took us out to a late lunch. I can officially say I have NEVER met a french fry I didn't like--even in China. :-) Isn't this awesome? It looks like a hashbrown birds nest. Where's the ketchup? JK.

On the way back into Beijing we saw about 30 F14's and helicopters practicing for the National Day celebration in October. China is celebrating 60 years of "New China", as Angela calls it, and the ceremony is going to be HUGE. I have never seen that many military aircraft in perfect formation in my life.

There is so much more I want to remember about Beijing...the bicycles, the traffic, the crazy driving...but each deserve their own blog post and I don't have enough time right now. Angela is taking us to dinner in a bit and then it is back to the room to pack. We are hoping to stay up until at least 9 pm. We slept from 8 pm-5 am this morning so we are close to being on China time...HOORAY! This jet lag thing stinks. Hopefully a few more nights and we'll be completely switched. Lord help me when we have to switch back at home with three children. We leave in the morning to fly to Guangzhou. Please pray for a safe flight and that we make it to the right gate without our guide. She can't go past security so we're on our own after she checks us in. It should be an adventure. Two days until we meet MeiMei...

Wild Man & Little Miss: Did you see your Flat people on the Great Wall of China? How awesome is that? I hope you both have a fun Saturday with Nanny. Please listen and obey and we will Skype you a little later. Two more days until baby sister. We love you all the way to the moon and back again--Mommy and Daddy

P.S. For the record....
the Chief and I have not developed a spare tire since we came to China. We are wearing money belts underneath our clothes which makes us look a little fluffy.

16 comments:

Flamingo said...

ooh the fries! i was going to tell you to tell her to order you some but i see she did!! i did love those.

i saw that same donkey on the wall!! too funny!!

right about now you are waking up for your last day in Beijing!!! aaah. i'm so excited for you!

ps. i had no jet lag on the way over. wierd isn't it? sorry it takes about 2 weeks once you are back:)

amybeth said...

I can't tell you how much I have loved reading your blog these last few days- even if they make me cry every day because it makes me think about leaving our little guy. I can't believe that we leave in less than 3 days! If you don't mind I would love to "steal" your Flat Stanley idea and do that for our son. I think he would love that.
Can't wait to see pictures of Mei-mei!
Amybeth (mytwoblessings)

Amy said...

You look like you are having such a great time. I love that you are getting to see all these sights while you are in Beijing, and that you are enjoying your time there. Your a rock! Love it!
Blessings
Amy

Wuxi Mommy said...

Your pictures are amazing!! What a beautiful day for touring the Wall!! I'm a HUGE weenie when it comes to heights, so I know just what you're saying:) Unfortunately, I got on the tour where we had to walk up a really steep part of the Wall....which was pretty bad considering the shape I was in. But I think I would still have preferred walking to riding those cable cars. Good for you for being so brave!

Rachel Spence said...

Those are some awesome pictures!! I am so glad you guys have gotten to do that much sightseeing in the short time you have been there even if it was "speedseeing". :) Chief--not cool--teasing about the heights---I mean come on! ;)
Love you guys.....it's getting close to time!!

Kim said...

So much better than the Grand Canyon!!! haha!

ps - I really like those shoes! {I'm serious!}

April said...

The weather looks perfect and the views are amazing! Thanks for all of the updates as we wait back home with tons of anticipation!!!

April

Courtney said...

I'm loving all the great pictures and narrative. Looks like the weather is GREAT and that you guys are having a blast! I'm all about that big pile of potatoes... think you can pack a "to go" box?? =)

I'm sure you know this, but I especially love the pix taken through those arches... one or more of those need to be hung as a series somewhere in your house! (or mine!)

I've enjoyed updating the blog for you, and reading about your travels and such...but I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THE GOTCHA DAY POST ON MONDAY! Yahoo!

PS - Tell Jay that he looks like a Red Neck with that bow on... get it? ha.

Love you both!
Courtney

Tammy Jones said...

Oh my I am not believing this, but I am almost 99.9% that Angela was our guide 5 years ago. What are the chances of that? In such a huge country, and two different agencies, you have met up with our beloved Angela. Please ask her if she use to work for "Families are Forver" (aka All God's Children) our of Portland Oregan. If it is her, I wish you would tell her the Jones family said we have never forgotten her. Also if it is the same Angela, it may interest you to know she is a Christian, which really sets her apart. Loving your pictures, and the flat people are priceless.
Blessings,
Tammy

Holli said...

I am LOVING the blog...the pictures are amazing and you always have just the right words! Thank you sooo much for updating I know there are millions of things you could be doing but instead you all are sharing this amazing journey with us!!! I can't wait for Mondays post!!! So exciting.....

Jodee said...

Wow! What an amazing day! Great pictures! I can't wait for your next post!

Denise said...

What great pics! I still get a bit jealous of everyone elses wonderful days at the Great Wall, because if you recall, it snowed the day I was there!

Loving every minute of your stories and pictures...can't wait for the big day!

Hugs~

Rebekah said...

Sounds like a GREAT day! HeeHee! Your photos are gorgeous!! Can't wait for the slide show once you're home! Love you!

Wife of the Pres. said...

What a great day you had at the Wall! It looks like the skies were GORGEOUS!!! Wow!!!

I want to know about this lift and toboggan deal; our boys would LOVE that!

OK, it is T-minus 12 hours and counting!!! CANNOT.WAIT!!! Praying, Leslie

Anonymous said...

Dear Mom and Dad,
We are having a great time. Nanny just left to go home and Grammy's on duty so we checked in and were excited to see all the pictures of China. We've got some ketchup for those fries. How fast did you go on that toboggin ride I bet you went 50 miles. How was your walk to the Great Wall of China? We are taking care of Little Miss and she is doing alright. Love Wildman

Hi Mom and Dad,
I had a good with Robin, Nanny and Grammy and Peanut and Baby. We went to Chick filet and the park where I played and lots of stuff and ate after.
Love Little Miss

PS Grammy says HI!

Sonja said...

I was scrolling down thinking to myself, "If she didn't get a pic of those shoes on that wall I'm going to be sorely disappointed!" and finally, there it was. And, you know, they aren't so ugly afterall. In fact, I think they are pretty cute!

Loved the pics of everything. I should've known you wouldn't leave out a single detail!! Happy touring!!