Wednesday, July 18, 2012

China Day 7: A Drama Free Zone

Wednesday night China time...

I have officially declared the second half of our China adventure a "Drama Free Zone".  I had a lengthy discussion with the little guy and the Big Guy (upstairs).  I'm REALLLLLLLLY hoping we are all on the same page.

After our roller coaster morning we made it back to the hotel around 11ish.  We were able to spend a few minutes with my friend Kim, her husband Carlos and their new daughter M before they hit the road to Hong Kong.  They are heading home tomorrow and I am SO jealous.  Kim and I have a mutual friend in real life, Amy C, who introduced us last fall when we were both starting our paperchase.  It was fun to finally meet this week after months of emails and phone calls.  Amy, this one is for you...



After a quick lunch, nap and blog update for those at home, we met our guide at 3 pm for an appointment at the police station.  Don't worry.  We haven't broken any laws in our short time here.  It is simply part of the process.  Little Buddy had his picture made, we received our adoption certificate and we were back at the hotel in less than an hour.






Then we then headed off to visit the Trust Mart and find dinner.  Trust Mart was recently purchased by Walmart so it felt oddly familiar in a Chinese sort of way.  I mean, we don't have live fish tanks in the meat department at home but we saw several Great Value brands and lots of familiar items in Chinese packaging.  I was so excited to go for a visit!!  Wait!  What did I just say?  I was so excited to visit Walmart????  Ummmm... that is probably the one and only time I will ever say that in my life. 

It's about a 15 minute stroll one way to Trust Mart but it felt much longer with 25 pounds of cuteness in tow.  By the time we made it back to the hotel we were drenched in ickyness.  Have I mentioned how hot it is here?  It's H-O-T but the humidity is the worst!!!!  As in your elbow and your big toe sweat after you've been outside for 3.7 minutes.  Ewww.  We could tell a thunderstorm was approaching so we took our sweaty elbows back to the hotel.  I offered to run out to grab dinner somewhere close but my better half wasn't having any part of that.  :)  So, the Chief picked up something "interesting" for us at a little place down the street.  I've been wondering what we should call Chinese food here in China?  95% of all food in China is what we call Chinese food at home.  So I guess we just ate food?  I'm beginning to think I need to stick to vegetarian dishes while I'm here. My brain is messing with me every time I pick up a pair of chopsticks.  Wild Man was not up for Chinese food... food... whatever... so the boys had their first golden arches together.  The chicken choices were different than home but the fries were exactly the same.  Wild Man said his chicken bites were SPICY.  It is doubtful Little Buddy has ever eaten at McDonald's but I know he enjoyed every bite of his first McDonald's treat with us.
Spicy Chicken Bite, anyone?

Everyone is now bathed and in bed for the night.  Our day started in a much different place than it ended.  We are SO overwhelmingly thankful for THAT!!  Again, the understatement of the year.  I'm sorry I am lacking in the photo department.  I promise to take more tomorrow (our Thursday) now that we have entered the "Drama Free Zone".  Let's hope everyone on this side of the world got the memo on that one.

Much love from China,
M

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Woohoo!!! Yay, for drama free zone! :) Little Buddy is super sweet!

Rach said...

Yummo...first Mickey D's for just the boys! ;) Great memories. Love him!!!

Leslie said...

Oh, that is so cool you got to meet a friend! BTW, does she have on an orange shirt??? OK, I notice weird details, but it looks like y'all are color-coordinated LOL (purple and orange).

I am so thankful that you have declared the rest of your trip uneventful! And yes, I have to agree, he must be the most adorable two-year-old Chinese boy on the planet! And I happen to know the most adorable two-year-old Chinese girl on the planet! They really need to meet! ;) And my J still talks about your J, and we'd love to catch up with you all! :))) When you get home and have time and all ... LOL!