Thursday, August 16, 2012

One Month: August Update...

As of today we've been a family of six for one month.  Things are going really well overall but so much has transpired the Chief and I are still spinning out of orbit at times.  Since I am the one who documents the life and times of our family I need to write it all down.  This is going to be a REALLY long update.  Feel free to skip to the pictures if you get bored...

July 26,  2012...
Home Sweet Home!

July 30, 2012...
We arrived home on Thursday evening and saw Dr. B, our new pediatrician, first thing Monday morning.  The short version of our lengthy appointment was Little Buddy needed to see a Pediatric Neurologist ASAP.  We knew that was a given after the events of July 17th.  Thanks to my friend K he already had an appointment for Wednesday with Dr. S (the doctor Dr. B would have sent him to anyway).  Sometimes it is great to have connections.  :)  THANK YOU LORD and K! 

 August 1, 2012...
We saw Dr. S on Wednesday morning.  Liked him a lot.  He first started with the recommendation of medication immediately.  Of course I cringed and talked him out of it.  :)  I would like to have a little more proof of a true neurological issue before we put him on meds.  He agreed, a little reluctantly, but my PCCU nurse shined through and we came to a reasonable agreement.  The current wait for an EEG is 4-5 weeks which is the reason he wanted to start meds quickly.  The nurse came back and said, "Would you believe they had a cancellation for Monday at 1pm?"  My reply was "WHY YES I CAN!  It's for Little Buddy!"

We left Dr. S office and went back to Dr. B's office for lots of lab work.  The first set of labs came back that day.  The short version is his hematocrit and hemoglobin were a little on the lower side for his age but nothing too alarming.  His platelet count remains very high at nearly 800,000.  His lead level was normal. 

August 3, 2012...
To Be Continued...

August 6, 2012...
Monday at 1 pm we ventured to our local Children's Hospital for the EEG.  Little Buddy was a little unsure at first but overall he did REALLY well.  We should have the results by Thursday. 

August 9, 2012...
EEG results:  NORMAL!!!!  

August 16, 2012...
After the first night home Little Buddy has been sleeping pretty well thanks to a little help from our friends Mr. Benadryl and Miss Melatonin the first two weeks.  He is still waking up in the night off and on with what we call "the China cry".  It breaks my heart every time but I know it will get better with time.  The boys switched back within a few days.  It took me about three weeks to switch back completely which contributed to the insanity around here until we were all on the same time zone.  I thought I was going a little nutso.  Thank goodness the Ambien finally worked.  Outside the medical stuff this has been our biggest challenge so I'm glad it's behind us.  Jetlag STINKS! Overall everyone seems to be settling in well.  Mei Mei is a little jealous but nothing out of the ordinary for welcoming a new younger sibling.

No comments: