
J. started a new preschool today. We began the morning with the typical first day of school routine...chose the "cool" shirt, packed the backpack, made the favorite lunch, took the picture and off we went. In the history of J.'s preschool life, first days have not been his strong point. History says he doesn't like change, new things, firsts, etc. So, I prepared myself for "the meltdown". I knew it was coming. I just knew it. It was only a matter of time. OH, when will I ever learn...
We arrived at Ms. Kara's school, as we call it, and he went right in without a fuss. He hung up his coat and backpack, went right in to the classroom, said hello to a few old and a few new friends and that was it. He indulged me by posing for a picture, blew me a kiss and I was on my way. WOW! That was easy. Now I should tell you that he knows Ms. Kara and half of the children there so they aren't perfect strangers. They are familiar friends so that of course made it easier.
When I arrived at the end of the day, he was outside on the playground. He saw me and kept right on playing. I let him play for a few minutes and then said, "Come on J., it's time to go home". He gave me the "I'm about to have a meltdown" look and burst into tears. "I.DO.NOT.WANT.TO.GO.HOME" he said in the loud crying whiny voice.
He earned 5 out of 6 "fun smiley tokens" today and that was a BIG DEAL! He couldn't tell us what he did to receive five tokens. His focus was on the one smiley he didn't receive. He said, "Ms. Kara said I have to try harder and I will get the #2 yellow smiley". We'll see how Thursday goes.
Well, I don't know about you, but I'd say that crying not to leave and 5/6 smileys equates to a great first day at a new preschool. Sometimes it's OK to be wrong and today, I'll admit it, I was. His first day was awesome. A HUGE thank you goes to Ms. Kara! We know this is the first of many firsts he'll share with you. We can't wait to see what the new year will bring for him.
Tuesday, January 2, 2007
I.DO.NOT.WANT.TO.GO.HOME.
at
11:55 PM





