Saturday, May 12, 2007

Hooray for Mommy's Day!

I never knew how special Mother's Day was until I became a Mother myself. Last year, I was the proud Mother of one handsome little boy with a baby girl on the way. I remember the realization that next year I will be a Mother of TWO! I secretly wondered what it would be like. At the time, I had so many questions about mothering two children. How will I parent another J.? Will there be enough Mommy for both of them? How will I have enough time for two children AND my husband? Will I love her the same as her brother? I had so many questions and I could not imagine loving another little person as much as I loved J. Everyone told me the same thing, "you can and you will". I could not understand how such complicated questions could be answered so simply. As I have discovered along this road of motherhood, you can't really understand ANYTHING until you have been there yourself.

Over the past year, I have discovered that all babies do not come in the same package. It is possible to love two children equally and yet in so many different ways. Two children can come from the same parents and be completely different in every other way. You can love them both with the same passion and depth of overflowing love. You can love them both with the kind of joy that stops you in your tracks...the kind of joy that requires you to take it all in...the kind that brings you to tears at the happiest of moments. You CAN love them both equally and yet in so many different ways. Only Mommy experience shares with you the meaning of, "you can and you will".

At almost 29 years old, I often think back on my own Mother's life. When she was my age she was a single Mother of an almost 10 year old little girl (me). At the time, she had little help from my father but somehow she made it work. My MeMe and PaPa were a huge help to us and I'm sure that made all the difference. Knowing what I know now, I can see how difficult life was for her. To my Mom (AKA Grammy), you are such an important part of our life. I certainly love and appreciate you more today, as a Mother myself, than before. I love you and Happy Mother's Day!

To all of my Mommy friends: I love being part of this "club" with so many amazing women. Being a Mom wouldn't be quite as fun (or funny) without other Mom's to share the adventure. A wise man once said (though I bet it was a woman), "it takes a village to raise a child" and I believe it. Thank you for being part of my "village". Happy Mother's Day friends!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl!

Phillip and I were excited to get on the Blog and catch up on you guys! The house is gorgeous!! We're officially jealous! MG's hair dispare is almost as bad as Ella's who has 2 perfectly placed cowlicks just like her Pa Chockley. We are trying to be patient and let it grow all one length but I'm not sure her daddy can wait much longer.

Happy Mother's Day!
Melissa and Phillip