Thursday, February 7, 2008

So long. Farewell. Our hair has gone Bye-Bye.

Don't you just love the Sound of Music? Now that I've deliberately placed that song in your head, here's the play by play of our evening.

The Mom and daughter before photo...

11.5 inches GONE! You should have seen the curly fro before she braided it. The curl had to be completely brushed out. Her hair just kept getting bigger and frizzier by the stroke. If this were 1982, she definitely would have won the award for THE BEST 80's hair you've ever seen.

8.5 inches GONE! Look how scrawny my braid looks compared to hers. Clearly I did not receive her hair genetics.

This one was for J. I knew he would think I looked so silly with those things all over my head. I was right. He thought it was hysterical.

Doesn't she look 10 years younger withOUT all that hair? Mom, do not ever let your hair grow that long again. Short hair is very "you". At this point Mom had to leave so this was the only after shot I took of both of us. You'll just have to picture me with my beautiful Mom without the aluminum foil on my head. :-)

Since we didn't have the opportunity for an after shot of the girls, I had mine taken with my favorite little man when I got home. He's definitely the cutest one in the photo but at least you can see my new do.
As soon as J saw me walk in the door he said, "Mommmmmmyyyyy, you look beautifullllll!" in his "sweet voice". He said it with such sincerity. He sees me as his beautiful Mommy... Awwwwwww... I think I need another Kleenex.

Two braided ponytails are in the bag and headed to Locks of Love and Pantene Beautiful Lengths. 11.5 inches of curly locks will certainly put a smile on the face of a little girl who has lost her own for whatever the reason may be. My Mom has been growing her hair out for nearly two years. Can you believe that? Two years with a trim here and there. It was certainly worth it Mom.

If I could personally give my hair to anyone, as scrawny as it may be, I would give it to my friend Karen. She has persevered through a cancer that just keeps coming back for more. She has lost a lot of things in the time I have known her, including her hair, but she refuses to let this intruder define her. Karen, if you are reading this post...

As a friend, a woman, a wife and a Mother, I am inspired by your passion for life, love for your precious family and unwaivering determination to kick cancer to the curb. In reality, you don't need my hair. Your hair grew back months ago. You couldn't use it even if I conned someone into making a wig for my friend. I can only hope that my hair, as scrawny as it may be, is given to another "Karen". A friend, woman, wife and Mother of someone else who refuses to allow cancer to define who she is to the world.

12 comments:

Courtney said...

super cute!! Love the new do's, ladies!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!! It looks Great!! Andrea

Anonymous said...

Dammit, now I'm crying.

I am always impressed by women who have the strength to willfully give up their hair. As someone who's lost hers {unwillingly}, I know how much hair can define a woman's self worth. It's amazing that such a seemingly small part of ourselves can carry such an impact on our sense of worth and beauty.

You are a lovely woman, a wonderful mother and I am honored to know you and call you my friend.

Much love and hugs from NC,
Karen (and Gwen!)

Anonymous said...

It looks great. I can't believe your mom's hair! She looks wonderful. I am turning 40 next week and I grew my out for a couple of years and then found out that they wouldn't take colored hair. (I foil mine) I am back to growing it out and seeing if another corporation will take it. I love the idea of giving it to someone that needs it. Great job!

Heather said...

Oh, it's ADORABLE!! I love the cut and the color is perfect! You are going to love having shorter hair. It's sooooo much easier. You go, girl!

Sonja said...

I REALLY like it M! It looks great. And by the way, was that Posh Spice doing your hair????

MGK said...

Precious! Aren't you just funky fresh? I love it!

Kim said...

G-I-R-LLLLL - love it!!!! REALLY looks great on you!!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!!! You really got her to make it look exactly like that picture--too cool!! Oh and Hannah looks alot older than you said in that picture. haha

On to Grammy---your hair looks AWESOME too!!! I mean really it looks great!

You go girls!! I'm proud of you both.

Ashley said...

You look FABULOUS!!!

Mel said...

Super cute! Obviously P's fashion sense won out again! I'm envious of the real SALON as opposed to the Salon on base!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Your hair is adorable. Cutting your hair must be in the air cause I got mine cut on Sat. and another blogger got hers cut this weekend too. Off with the long hair!!