Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Chapman Family...

We are still in Las Vegas and are headed home in the morning. Today my heart is heavy after hearing the news of the tragic death of Maria Chapman, daughter of Steven and Mary Beth Chapman. She was 5 years old, the youngest of six children and their third daughter adopted from China.

The Chapman's have a special place in my heart as they do for many in the adoption community. Not only have I always loved his music, as a couple they have such a passion for the very same thing God has laid on our hearts: adoption. They have used the fortune they have been blessed to encourage and provide adoption assistance through their charity Shaohannah's Hope. I have heard their very powerful testimony about the adoption of their girls and it is an inspiration to many.

Our hearts break for their tragic loss and also for their son who was somehow involved. To mourn the loss of a daughter and comfort a son must be an unbearable burden. For months I have been in love with his new song "Cinderella". He wrote the song for his daughters Shaoey, Stevie Joy and Maria. Both Daddy and I were brought to tears the first time we heard it together. We could see MG in that song and what perspective it brought to both of us as we take on the day to day challenges of parenting. Today, the lyrics take on new meaning as the irony of "Cinderella" has played out in an unimaginable way for this family. From this day forward it will remind me of a little girl named Maria Sue Chapman.

There's a ball at the castle and she was invited...

Today, on Thankful Thursday, Maria Sue Chapman is in heaven dancing with her Heavenly Father. Please pray for the Chapman family as they grieve the loss of their precious child.

Today, on Thankful Thursday, I desperately want to go home, hug my babies and never let them go.

2 comments:

MGK said...

M-
My heart was broken on Wednesday night when I heard about this and I knew yours would be too, especially because of the adoption connection. I knew that you would be posting about this. This loss is unimaginable. I know you're glad to be home with your babies...Love you,
M

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

I appreciated your comment on this very sad event. I watched your YouTube video of the song (which I'd never heard) and will never hear it the way it was originally intended. Now I hear it only for his dear, sweet Maria.

God bless you and your family. And the Chapman Family, as well.

{btw, came here through Chatting at the Sky...}