We interrupt the current blog hiatus to inform you of my new membership status: the "Mistreatment Club". What is a mistreatment you ask? The Nester explains in her own words...
Mistreatment: (n). covering for a window that is quick, cheap and pretty. may or may not need hardware does not require sewing. a real designer's worst nightmare.
Mistreating: (v). the act of treating a window with dignity and respect without use of the following: hundreds of dollars, sewing, time, crying, divorce, child neglect...
Unfortunately, I can't say this entire window treatment is a mistreatment but at least half of it is. So, I'm pretending to be a full fledged member of this club even though this probably only constitutes part time status. I guess the Nester will have to decide.
The cast of characters:
-Two wooden plates from Hobby Lobby, 5/8 dowel rod, one Handy Manny (um, I mean hubby), a big power drill and some fancy drill bit that hubby just HAD to have to make this work


-10 perfectly fancy drawer pulls from Hobby Lobby (on sale 50% off)

-left over pink paint, a strong arm to push in the drawer pulls, a little Sumo glue to fix the drawer pulls that Handy Manny broke while using his strong arm and TAAADAAAAHHHH!!!!
-10 mistreated ties (cut, folded, ironed and ends snipped after they were tied...why sew something that is going to be on the ceiling?)
-2 of my FAVORITE flat sheets from PB Kids (pretty and pink with a touch of Asian inspiration--the girls will share a room), the girliest fringe I could find, and a friend named Stacey who loves to sew
**This is the part where I become a part time MC member...they are for the girls room and needed to be lined with blackout. If you are going to line them you might as well make them beautiful, right?**
-The window before (with a crazy haired, blue paci sporting baby girl and an ugly ladder because I didn't want to ask Handy Manny to move it for a photo op--by this point he was OVER my mistreatment) 
-The finished product. Isn't it a great feeling when something in your mind becomes a reality? They are EXACTLY what I envisioned. I double knotted the ties around the dowel rod, hooked the drapery hooks into the tie and cut the ends of the ties into a "v". Don't they look precious with the crystal chandelier?


I can't wait to finish this room for my girls. Some day, I'm sure they will want a room of purple and yellow fluorescent stripes but for now they are going to have the prettiest little girl room I can dream (on a budget, of course). When I'm finished, I hope they love it as much as their Mommy.
Thanks for stopping by to check out my mistreatment and remember...
Monday, August 18, 2008
Joining the Mistreatment Club...
It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






34 comments:
Oh, that is just gorgeous!! I wish I had a Hobby Lobby. Sigh.
~Heather
BEAUTIFUL!!! Best "mistreatment" I've ever seen. =) Okay friend, time to come to my house and help abuse my windows, dontcha think???
So pretty! I love the fabric, but the drawer pulls totally make it!
OMG....that is the prettiest window treatment ever! I adore the room and all your lovely details!
Yes, your treatment is my favorite out of all I've seen today!
AAAHHHHHHHHH . . . . love 'em!!!
OH my goodness, these are beautiful! Are you sure these are mistreated?? :) I know exactly what those sheets are (Cherry Blossom), because I love that print too! Just gorgeous!
omg, those are stunning!! Seriously, fantastic job. :)
Wow!! Those rock!!! Love the knobs you used to tie them to. Turned out awesome! Congrats. Oh and good job Daddy you did great too! =)
That is BEAUTIFUL! I absolutely love the embellishments - it's so perfect for a girl's room. LOL, also love the Handy Manny reference. ;o)
P.S. I have an MG, too...Mary-Grace, who is two.
Shut up I love it! I did something similar in my living room (using door knobs) but wanted to do something a little more "finished" in my girls rooms and I think this may just be the answer. What color/brand of paint is that? I'm always looking for a good green...
WOW!!! Those are amazing. I can't believe you made those. And the wood and spindles to hang them from was brilliant. Great job.
Ohmygoodness, those are just adorable! You did SUCH a great job!!! Wow!!
You are so considered a full fledged member!!! You were creative and sewed because you wanted to! It looks AMAZING!!!
I don't think we can call that a mistreatment; those windows were treated beautifully! I dub your work a "MasterTreatment"! :-)
Oh that is so pretty--I really and truly love it!
I hear you on making their room as sweet and pretty as you can. I have this secret hope that if I make my daughter's room absolutely perfect that she'll never want to change it and just skip over that awkward stage altogether!
~ Sarah
Absolutely stunning!!!
Very pretty! I did this same thing in my old house and my husband actually snipped the "screw end" of the drawer pull off and it then became MUCH easier to screw right into the wall with a sheetrock anchor (which is what I did rather than the wooden plate...which was my initial intention) Love, love, love this look!!
Wow! Somebody did an amazing job!
Fantastic!! I'd want that room!!! Very girly but not overly so. Fab.
Oh, SO, SO pretty!! It looks amazing!
That room is fabulous! I love your mistreatments!
-Nancy
Ok...I'm breathless right now because
1. I LOVE this mistreatment!
2. I have those same, lovely drawer pulls from Hobby Lobby for 1/2 off! They are on my 1964 closet doors.
3. I have a friend named Stacey who loves to sew!!
Are you me?
And btw, all my mommy love goes out to you as you send your baby to kindergarten. I can't imagine it.
Oh my gawd... I love them so much! Definitely one of my favorite mistreatments! Just beautiful!
LOVE them! Maybe one day when I'm grown up and not so much of a transient, I can have curtains just like yours!
I love them!!! Fantastic ides. I may have to still it when we have a little girl!!! NO, don't worry not anytime soon. Miss ya
OMG - love it! Such a great mistreatment!!!
Absolutely beautiful!! What lucky girls you have. :)
I just can't get over them!!! Can't wait to see them in person - expect me to go straight upstairs when I come over next Saturday!! Ok??
They turned out DARLING! Love them!
Okay, so this one has to have a comment!!! WOW!!! How beautiful!!!!!!
Precious!
I love how girlie it turned out!!!!
too cute!! I'm really impressed. The acutal curtains look a bit out of my league though. I don't really consider that a "mistreatment" because they look like someone spent a lot of time on them. Then again, what do I know?? I can't even thread a bobbin. Nor do I want to learn.
Oh my goodness!!! I absolutely LOVE these! I want them for my room (I'm sure my hubby would really appreciate that!) What an adorable room!
very impressed! my head hurts trying to figure out how you did that. can you come to colorado and make some for me? i'll babysit.
Post a Comment