To all my China AP amigas...
Please tell us your favorite restaurants in Guangzhou. We will be there 11 days since MeiMei is from Guangdong province. We are going to need a little variety with that many days of eating out. Ugh! Please share the good and the bad. Our tummies will thank you!
Sunday, August 30, 2009
T Minus 10 days: Let's talk food...
at
4:43 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






9 comments:
The Italian restaurant on First St is very good- a little pricey, but very good.
We also ate in the Greenery Cafe on the pedestrian road. The menu had a nice mix of Aisan and Western items and some prix fixe menus that were a real bargain.
We also liked the Cafe in the Lobby of the new Victory. The food was excellent and reasonably proced. My 5 yr old ate well there.
The Cow Bridge Thai restaurant (right near old Victory) is also a steal. They have a wide variety of items and you could spend hours just reading the whole menu.
We also ate at Lucy's. I thought it was very expensive for what it was. The fried calamari was good but not cheap.
I think those were the major places we hit on or near the island.
frteach
The Italian restaurant on First St is very good- a little pricey, but very good.
We also ate in the Greenery Cafe on the pedestrian road. The menu had a nice mix of Aisan and Western items and some prix fixe menus that were a real bargain.
We also liked the Cafe in the Lobby of the new Victory. The food was excellent and reasonably proced. My 5 yr old ate well there.
The Cow Bridge Thai restaurant (right near old Victory) is also a steal. They have a wide variety of items and you could spend hours just reading the whole menu.
We also ate at Lucy's. I thought it was very expensive for what it was. The fried calamari was good but not cheap.
I think those were the major places we hit on or near the island.
frteach
Stay far, far away from the pesto pasta at Lucy's. It tasted great going down. Not so much going back up.
The Thai place, Cow & Bridge, is yummy. And I loved all the restaurants in the White Swan, but they are more $$. Mango ice cream at the little deli next to the WS was great. And there's always the dinner cruises on the Pearl River- food's not so good but the experience is pretty cool.
Check to see if the kids' favorite mis-translated dessert is still on the WS room service menu: Chocolate Puke!
Happy packing,
Lisen
Cow and Bridge was a wonderful Thai restaurant. Danny's Bagel was AWESOME food, but I heard they don't deliver to the WSwan any more, but you may still be able to go there. Really yummy.
Everyone else but us probably went to Lucys which caters to Americans. We heard of many folks getting sick there so we never went, but I know it's a fav!
Have a wonderful trip!!
Of course, Lucy's is nice if you're sick of Chinese food. It's not bad but not great either - kind of like a Shoney's here in the US. The italian restaurant on the island (La Dolce Vita) is wonderful but pricey. I can't remember exactly, but I think we paid $4 US for a Coke. Most everyone's favorite Chinese restaurant on the island is Cow and Bridge. We liked it and you can tell they are comfortable with crying and/or wriggling kids. That's always a selling point when you've just met your child and can barely communicate with them! We ate at a few restaurants off the island in the shopping district near the ShiFu Holiday Inn. They are within walking distance (on the walking bridge over the highway) and were quick and cheap. I would stay away from Bruce Lee's fast food restaurants. We've tried them in several cities in China and they were all awful. The chicken was more gristle than meat.
That's all I have for now...
Wishing you Godspeed!
We loved the Italian place and we also took some food with us that we could heat up and eat in the room. The breakfast was so great that we sometimes took some food with us from there and warmed up for lunch. Pack some rubbermaid small containers and keep them handy. Have a great trip!! I wish I was going back soon.
For the best American food in Guangzhou, definately try Lucy's! Also, we found an amazing Italian restuarant near the building where the kiddos had their physicals. I can't remember the name, but it was pretty big and hard to miss. I'll try to get the name from someone else in our travel group. There's a Starbucks, which was a MUST for me for that coffee fix. The coffee in most of the places we went in China just wasn't really anything compared to the coffee we were used to. There was a German restaurant in Guangzhou that came highly recommended by other groups, but we actually didn't care much for it. It was in a building that was shaped like a train. I would probably skip it if I were you! I hope this helps!
OK....I am sure you have heard of Lucy's. It is really close to White Swan and does have good American food. Not like in America but good none the less. There is an Italian restaurant at the end of the island that I would have eaten at everyday if we had found it earlier. The Cow and Bridge is a great Thai rest. you must be careful not to get too spicy stuff. The staff will help you with the menu. They also have Papa Johns that was really close to American pizza.
Remember if you are staying at the White Swan you can FILL UP on breakfast and take a few things back to the room for snacking later and then go for a big dinner. Don't pack too many snacks from here.....everything you need is available there. Can't wait to follow your journey.
guangzhou island is not very big so it won't take you very long to hit the main restaurants. you can order take out from papa john's which i heard is good.
we loved the cow and bridge thai restaurant. back home lucy's wouldn't be very good, but when you are craving some greasy fried american food it hits the spot. they serve congee for the little ones...we got it there for her all of the time.
we tried to eat a huge breakfast at the white swan and an early supper. yao yao boycotted eating in china for the most part so we didn't count her:)
the italian restaurant is "ok". no where near home, but again, some things taste good after awhile.
you will have plenty of time to venture off the island. i wish i could have done that. you can hire some one to take you to the warehouse shops where you can get lots of nice junk cheap:)
also, check out the store, "a gift from china...or china from love" something to that effect. they are a charity shop and have incredible handmade stuff for very inexpensive. wish i would have found it earlier.
Post a Comment