Today we had the honor and privilege to travel to Dongguan to visit True Children's Home. What a blessing this organization has been to our daughter. MeiMei has been under the care of TCH since she was 6 days old. I know that surprises some of you but it is not something I could share publicly until after we had her in our arms. She lived at the foster home until November 2008 when she entered TCH foster care. She remained with the same foster family until Monday when she came to meet us in Guangzhou.
We traveled with the Eckert family whose daughter is also a TCH baby. When we arrived the nannies were playing with the children in both the younger baby home and the older baby home. They are basically apartments across the hall from each other. Several of the nannies recognized MeiMei from her time at TCH before going to foster care. One particular nanny nearly jumped us coming through the door to love her up. MeiMei did not recognize her but the nanny clearly recognized MeiMei.
We had the opportunity to tour all of the crib rooms at TCH as part of our tour. Guess which room MeiMei was in before she went to foster care? The Disney Room--how appropriate! Her crib was the one in the corner with the Disney alphabet paintings on both sides.
After we spent some time with Jenny, TCH Executive Director, and Katrina, TCH jack of all trades, learning about the organization it was time to meet the foster family. The Chief stayed at TCH along with MeiMei, Keith, Li Li and Koen while Kelly and I went across the street with Jenny to meet the foster families. We knew it was in MeiMei and Li Li's best interests to not see them again. It would be too confusing for them.
It was an awkward meeting at first. The entire family came: Mother, Father, Sister and boyfriend, Brother and girlfriend. They were so visibly sad, so heartbroken, that she is gone. They asked me repeatedly to please keep in touch and I assured them that we would. They also brought a few special snacks they know MeiMei loves along with a few other things as well. I have thought long and hard about this over the past few days and have decided the details from her foster family are her details to tell--not mine. We have decided not to share them publicly to protect her privacy.
After our meeting, Katrina took us out to a local restaurant for lunch.. MeiMei decided to flirt with the waitress and we caught a glimpse of the smile she's been hiding for five days--such a sweet noodly grin. Oh what I wouldn't give right now for her to flash one at ME! After lunch, we drove back over to TCH quickly to say goodbye to Jenny before we had to leave. I know it is bittersweet for Jenny and Katrina to say goodbye to us. It would be for me as well.
Due to Friday afternoon traffic, it was over 3 hours in the van from Dongguan to Shamian Island. We missed the tour with our travel mates and we missed our pearl market vendor as well. Once we made it back to the hotel we grabbed some dinner and collapsed for the night. There is so much more to this post but I do not have the time to journal it all right now. Suffice it to say TCH is the reason why our baby is coming home safe and healthy.
Love from China,
M
Friday, September 18, 2009
Day 10: True Children's Home
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






21 comments:
Oh my goodness M, what a beautiful smile!!! She is going to be a little stinker!!! Hope your days are getting better!
MeiMei's smile is BEAUTIFUL!!! I especially like the noodle face! She is saving the most precious smile for you on a day in the near future when you least expect it...and it will mean the world to you! Be patient...it will come.
What an amazing blessing for you and for meimei to have pictures and to have spent time with so many people from her past. I would have given anything to have met LilyJoy's foster family. What a gift.
Look at that beautiful smile!! She'll be giving them to you before you know it... be encouraged by the smile itself!!
be blessed,
Courtney
What a beautiful little girl! I bet you'll see that smile more and more often.
MeiMei is adorable! I love her smile! Great pictures. What an experience.
Thinking of you in CO,
Amy Castro
Love to see those smiles
Sweet baby! I have been waiting for the up date all weekend!! I love her little smile.
Thank you so much for your beautiful stories! And the pics are amazing. I can't get that little noodle face off my mind.
She's absolutely beautiful!! Her smile is wonderful and I'm sure there will be many more smiles to come- it may happen slowly, but it will happen. I'm so excited to read your entire story- it's simply inspiring and there's so much love and warmth in your hearts. Enjoy the rest of the trip, and a little retail therapy never hurt anyone!
Melissa
Yeah for some smiles!! Love her grinning pics!
Looks like MG is going to have some stiff competition for Daddy's lap when you get home :)
There's that smile we've been waiting for!!! We knew it was in there somewhere!!! Hooray!!!
So great you got to meet the foster family too. What a precious gift.
Thinking of you!
Amy
I am so happy to get to see your journey to your Mei Mei! Sonja told me you were there this week. Brings back memories of when we got our Mei Mei over 4 years ago! She was a daddy's girl at first too. It gets better with time!
Blessings,
Wendy Twit
M that smile is beautiful! I know you will be seeing it much for often. Praying for all five of you!
Much Love,
Wendy
What a wonderful experience that you can share with Mei Mei someday. And that noodle faced smile made me smile right back. Praying for you~
TCH is an amazing place! They cared for our daughter until we adopted her this May. She was in foster care and meeting the foster family was so difficult, they have great families for these children who love them like their own!
Wonderful pics!
I don't blame you for not sharing details. That is best. We have a lot we've never shared either.
I am so happy for her and you that she was in such a caring place. Having a child who was not afforded the chance to go somewhere like that, I can tell you it is a huge blessing. You already know that, but wow. What a blessing!!!
Hugs, L
I accidentally stumbled across your blog and of course it captured my interest! My son and his wife were 'undercover' missionaries in China for two years and we were a foster family for 15 years - to about 100 kiddos.
This is odd - but what may be disconcerting to your little M is your round eyes! Your husband is wearing glasses so they are not so obvious. When my son and his wife went to a restaurant in a smaller city, 'round eyes' were not common. They went back a few nights later and there was a huge picture of them on the wall!!
They are anxious to return.
My heart aches for 'M'. A new name, a new language, new arms to hold her. My heart aches for the family that loved her as their own and had a huge part in molding her thus far. Empty arms hurt.
My heart goes out to you. I am praying for you as you learn to love her for who she is. We got to adopt two of our foster children - whom unfortunately did not have the love that your little girl did.
I can't wait to see whom 'M' becomes.
I must say, M., you look like a GIANT in the picture with MeiMei's foster family. HA! MeiMei looks like she is opening up each day and showing us that beautiful smile. I got home from FL this morning and as I walked through the airport I got excited to see you in just THREE DAYS! 3 days! Can't wait!
Loves
Laura
Wow, what an amazing and bittersweet day. I am sure it was not an easy visit but still what a gift to be able to go and see and learn and know. And those smiles! Those smiles are so sweet I can't take it! I love it!!! So happy to see these pix!!!
Love, C
WHAT A SMILE!
She looks so happy.I know there's lots more to it, but there it was--one uncomplicated, happy moment. I envy you the time with that foster family--you know we came so close to getting that too! Someday, we will meet them (I hope...)
There is that smile! She will be smiling more each day espically when she gets with Little Miss and Wildman. I am glad you got to meet the foster family although I know that was so hard for you and them.
Love Grammy
Post a Comment