-sent 3 am China time/2 pm at home
To Wild Man and Little Miss...
We love you both so much. We are so proud of how brave you are being while we are away. I hope you have been tearing your paper chain and marking off your days. If you have, you know we are almost half way there. We will be home before you know it. We could feel your excitement this morning when you "met" MeiMei. We can't wait for you to meet her in person. Have a great day. We love you all the way to the moon and back again. Love, Mommy and Daddy
Today we awoke to Typhoon Koppu and the flooded streets of Shamian Island. Guangdong province is in Southern China, north of Hong Kong and bordered by the South China Sea. We are in Guangzhou, Guangdong which is a 2 hour train ride from Hong Kong. When came down for breakfast and saw the water up to the front hotel step we assumed our morning appointment would be canceled. There was no way out--or so we thought. Ha. Apparently our driver did not get the memo that one should NEVER drive through water across a roadway. He thought it was perfectly OK to drive a van full of families through standing water up to the doors around an island surrounded by a River. Since Grace thought it was "very safe" as well we were instructed to get in the van. You can put this on the list of the dumbest things we have ever done because someone told us to do it. Apparently once or twice a year when a typhoon hits the mainland, Shamian Island is flooded by the Pearl River (which surrounds the island on all sides). Lucky us to get to experience it. :-i

Once we made it through the flooded streets we drove back to the Civil Affairs office. MeiMei was extremely upset to return to Civil Affairs. We were there for about 2 hours finalizing the adoption which was pure torture for her. She was hot, tired and completely overwhelmed to be back there and surrounded by all of those people. Our guide Grace is sweet as pie but SLOW AS MOLASSES which made the morning incredibly stressful for us. Thankfully we do not have to go back there anymore.
When we got back to the hotel we went out to lunch at Cow and Bridge with the Guarino's. It was YUMMY YUMMY--the best meal we have had in a few days. MeiMei ate a little bit of chicken and noodles. It was so stinkin cute to see her slurp those noodles like spaghetti. We'll work on manners later but for now the cute factor prevails.
The Chief picked up our laundry after lunch and this is what we found inside the laundry bag... Washed, dried, ironed and neatly folded clothing right down to the unmentionables. That laundry bag was almost full and THIS is how it came back to us? Three bags of clothes? Crazy!
She took her first bottle when we got back to the hotel. She WOULD NOT take it any way but sitting straight up. If I tilted her back, even slightly, she totally lost it. We tried to take an afternoon nap but she was having no part of her crib. She slept on my chest for a bit but we were afraid to let her sleep too late in the day.
We had dinner at a really yummy Italian place on the island and ran into my pal Amy from RQ (an online group for adoptive parents). We snapped a quick pic of the girls together. Don't they look thrilled? I'm so glad we were able to meet in person. Hopefully when they meet again they will have smiles instead of frowns.
Bath and bedtime was rough tonight but hopefully it will get better with each day. These little black pajamas have been in the top of my closet since winter 2008 when I won them in a giveaway. I was soooo excited to see they fit MeiMei perfectly. (Kim W--please tell your pal that I was finally able to use them. :-)

I wish I had taken pictures or a video of what happened tonight but I will do it if it happens again. You are not going to believe me but MeiMei fell asleep standing up in her crib. STANDING UP! She was terrified to lie down but we thought she stopped crying when we left the room because she couldn't see us anymore. Nope. Not the case. She was asleep...STANDING UP. She wasn't waving to us. She had wedged her legs in the slats and thrown her arms over the sides to support herself and fallen asleep...STANDING UP! She was moving her arms to balance herself. After watching her for a while, we were afraid she would topple out the crib on the hardwood floor. Sooooo...we did what we NEVER do...we put her in bed between us. I have a bad feeling that is going to come back to bite us later but what are we supposed to do?
As for MeiMei, she is doing OK. She is grieving fiercely and breaking our hearts in the process. She dislikes us both equally so she does not prefer either of us. She ate today and took two bottles which is an improvement over yesterday. They say each day will get better. I hope they are right. This tops the cake as the hardest thing I have ever experienced in my life. Feeling so helpless to comfort someone you have loved for so long only to be rejected in return. She has EVERY RIGHT to grieve, to be sad, to mourn, to push us away. I completely understand WHY but it doesn't negate the fact it is incredibly difficult for us to watch. Hopefully tomorrow will better than today and the next and the next... Please continue to pray for MeiMei and her broken heart.
Goodnight from China...
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Day 7: Adoption Day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






15 comments:
Sorry to hear things are so rough right now. I do think it will get better each and every day. Hang in there! It sounds like you are doing a great job with her!
P.S. Can you share Mei Mei's name? I am anxious to see what you named her!
Whoa! A typhoon that is awesome (sarcasm). I sure hope they get the Weather Channel over there. LOL!
Sweet sweet Mei Mei--I can't get over how absolutely adorable she is. YAY! for adoption day and YAY! that you don't have to return to that stinkin' building again. Poor thing. It's gonna get easier--she'll get used to you and realize what love you have for her and she will return it eventually. I am so sorry that it has to happen this way but know that you have so much love and many prayers coming from home. I am overwhelmed with the comments so I know you are too. :0 As for the sleeping---ummm you are gonna do what you gotta do sister! If that makes her more comfortable and safe and secure right now then that is the way it will be. You've got time later to sort it all out. I hope you all are resting now and that you had a better Wednesday.
BTW--tomorrow is the day for noname baby! Keep your email up. ;)
Love you all!!!
I just know that she will start warming up soon. As you know I have made this incredible journey twice, and it is amazing to see the difference in all the babies during their second week. I am continuing to pray that Mei Mei will open her heart to you and begin to trust you both. She has been so loved for so long, this is a blessing. I am so sorry it is tough for you right now. But you seriously can't deny how absolutely adorable she is, even with the little pouty face. I can't wait to see a smile, I am sure it will be soon!
All my love,
Amy
My heart is breaking for you all knowing this is so hard right now. Wish there was something I could do. In the mean time you are all in my thoughts and prayers. Hoping the each passing moment and day gets easier.
Much love,
Cindy
So sorry the weather is not so perfect for you! I was there during the once in a lifetime winter storm. Hopefully it will clear up and you can really enjoy the island.
I wouldn't worry about putting Mei Mei in the bed with you. Right now you just have to do whatever it takes to make her feel secure. Alot of people won't see it that way, but our kids have to be treated differently than birth children. They have been traumatized and need to heal. Now is not the time for routine child rearing. It seems that you already know that by how you are dealing with her...just wanted to give you some support. I think you both are doing a wonderful job in this stressful situation!
~Lynn
Each day does get a little better than the last, not the whole day maybe, but shining moments. Sounds like MeiMei is doing about the same as my new dd in Guatemala on day 2 now. I love the curry at Cow & Bridge! And I think it was righht after we left Shamain Island last September that it was totally flooded! Lucky you to get that experience.
Stay away from the pesto at Lucy's and enjoy getting to know your new daughter,
Lisen
why do you make me stalk my computer??
she is stinkin' cute.
big advice from a BTDT mom...just did that mom!!!! Do what you have to do to survive China. Let her sleep with you. LEt her eat cookiees for evevery meal. Let her skip naps. Let her be in control. You are in her territory.
Once you get home and the jet lag wears off....now you are in YOUR territory! lol
seriously, i wish i could go back and re do those times. i was stressed about things i shouldn't have been because in a lot of ways i felt like a 1st time mom.
she will change sooooo much when she gets home. just being in your home will change her. i never once have brough yao yao into our bed since we've been home. but holy cow! she was on top of me in china and i had to lay viturally on top of her once we were 1st home. within a couple of weeks, things were "under control".
seriously, go against all the advice or wisdom you ever had as a mom and just go with her.
things will change in the good ol' usa. i promise you.
We did laundry RIGHT before we left to come home and it was sooooo hard to take all the laundry out of the wonderful clear bags. I wish I had someone at home to do our laundry like that. So glad you went to the Italian place....the cheese pizza is to die for.
Mei Mei is sooooo precious.
Thinking of you getting in the van driving through the water reminds me of the time I was in New York and a man peddling designer jeans told me the only place to try them on was in the back of his scary van......and I did it. WHAT???? Hello Dateline... need a good murder story?? Ha. Obviously I didn't die and neither did you thank goodness!
Keep lovin' on that baby....it may take a while but it will be all the more sweet when she kisses your nose back :)
Miss you!
So glad you got everything finalized and Mei-Maei is officially yours! How exciting. I recognized Libby and how cool that you and Amy and her family got to meet. That water looked crazy. Glad you guys made it through okay.
Hugs,
Jonni
I don't know if you remember me saying the exact same thing while we were in China, but I agree, hands down, this is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. Please don't feel like you're alone. Remember Who led you here. Please don't feel guilty if you're feeling disappointed or sad or mad for that matter. These first days are NOT NORMAL!! Just go through the motions of love if it is too hard to truly "feel" it because you're constantly being rejected. I'm still kind of doing that, but each day is a step in the right direction.
About the sleeping-- you're doing just fine! I don't believe that allowing her in your bed will come back to bite you if that is not your plan at home. Everything will be so different when you get home. It is just not the same as being in the hotel. And right now, you all just need SLEEP!! When you're right there in the middle of the night, you're just reinforcing that you will always be there for her. She needs that right now. You are in my prayers.
Be blessed,
Courtney
Aaah your daughter is beautiful. Congratulations. I'm sure it must be tough that she is grieving and I have not been there yet but I know that soon her heart will open up and it will be like she has always been with you.
She really is gorgeous!
Jaclyn from RQ
Keep you chin up! Things will get better. She is so sweet! I know how heart breaking this is but at least she can cling to one of you now and with time she will come to know the love you have for her and she will return it for years to come. Kids are great! Wild as ever but we are managing and following the schedule. He is doing his homework with help from Ms. Ro, Ms. Re and Grammy. Love ya, Grammy
PUT her in the bed with you! Great for bonding. ;) Of course that is coming from someone who has put all of her children in the bed w/ herself and DH since they were babes. To us, it just works if they are upset, but I realize to each his own.
I love the photo of you giving her the bottle. I love the look on your face. Seriously, though, clearly you are meeting her where SHE IS. That is so important, and I see so many people struggling b/c they refuse to meet the child where they are.
She will come around. Before you know it, she'll won't to "wok" (as S says it) ALL.THE.TIME. S still gets her "ba-ba" (bottle) in the morning and before bed. And she loves to be held like a baby now, and she is almost 4! It took awhile though. At first and for many months, it was sitting on my lap just like Mei Mei is on yours.
She seems tall from the photos! And looks really healthy too. That made me sad about her falling asleep like that. I wonder if she did this in the SWI. *tears* So thankful she has Mama and Baba and Ge Ge and Jie Jie waiting at home to love her forever!
Post a Comment