Friday, October 2, 2009

Meeting Dr. Melinda...

This afternoon Mei Mei met Dr. Melinda at her first routine Pediatrician visit. She gave the entire hour two HUGE thumbs DOWN (and I even talked her way out of any "pokes" today). Overall, I think Dr. M was impressed with her growth, development and surgical repair. The nurse asked me the typical 18 month questions but some of them were impossible to answer. Allergies? Food preferences? How long does she typically sleep per day? The one I found quite funny was, "During the time you have known her, has she spoken 15 intelligible words?" Hmmmm...well, I think so but since I don't speak Cantonese I can't say yes with absolute certainty. :-) We were blown away by her measurements.

Weight: 21 pounds 14 ounces (~15th percentile)
Length: 31.5 inches (~40th percentile)
HC: 47 cm (~60th percentile)

Can you believe that? Those percentages are on the AMERICAN growth chart!! I was prepared to bring in a Chinese growth chart at our next visit. Many children adopted from China don't even plot on the American chart. Typically children from southern China are even smaller compared to the rest of the country which is why southern China has a separate growth chart. Haha... not Mei Mei. She's an All-American girl from the start. She eats better than some adults I know so I don't think it will be long before her weight evens out with the rest of her. We owe so much to True Children's Home. They took excellent care of Mei Mei during her first 17 months of life. We know they are the reason why she is so healthy.

On the 14th, we have a Plastic Surgery appointment with "the infamous Kevin K.". That's what I called him when I was a nurse in the PCCU. I think I worked there over a year before I actually met the man. He was always in and out of the unit so quickly and with such an entourage it took me that long to figure out which Dr. was Dr. K. Ha! We consulted with him after Mei Mei's referral and he seemed genuinely happy to help. We are anxious to hear his recommendations. Also, she will be having a few more tests the same week. We are praying all is well with our little Mei Mei.

No comments: