Friday, October 30, 2009

Update...

First of all, thank you to those who have checked in on us over the past few weeks. I know many of you are wondering about us and our transition to a party of 5. Each day is a new day and we are so thankful.
Wild Man... he hasn't missed a beat. According to him, being the big brother of one or the big brother of two is "about the same". Girls are gross. Dolls are gross. Pink is gross. Princesses are gross. He loves the girls in his life-but they're still gross. In case you are wondering, that scenario includes ME. Hehehehe. The rhetorical question of the month is this... If Little Miss got a sister...why can't I have a brother? Hmmm...

Little Miss... well, she's had a hard transition. She is going to be the best Mommy some day. She is so sweet and attentive to MeiMei but she has no concept of personal space. :-) She's always up in her face, smothering her with bear hugs or trying to drag her around like a baby doll. Unfortunately it has led to SEVERAL "altercations" between the two of them over the past month. The good news is Little Miss and MeiMei are slowly becoming friends. It has been a tough transition in the sister department but they are making progress.

MeiMei... thankfully she has decided we're not so bad after all. The day I wrote this post, just as I speculated, something changed. I wish I knew WHAT CHANGED but at this point it's not important. She's feeling more comfortable in her new family. The stink eye has been replaced, most of the time, with random and unprompted toddler smiles and occasional giggles. She's picked up quite a few words already and her comprehension is pretty impressive. We know she speaks about 15 words (both English and the only Cantonese words WE understand combined) but since our Cantonese is nonexistent a little rusty we are clueless about the chatty chatter. :-) I'm pretty sure she's told me EXACTLY what she thinks of me a few times but unfortunately (or thankfully) I'll never know what she said. :-)

the Chief and Mommy... we are truckin' along. We survived the first month and lived to tell about it. At one point I thought it was questionable. Hahahaha. :-) We have run the gamut of emotions over the past month but at the end of the day we would do it all the same. We would pray the same prayers. We would rejoice in the same circumstances surrounding her care in China. We would circle the globe for the exact same reason. We would cry the same river of tears. We would embrace rejection in the midst of the same heartbreak. We would grieve along side the same broken child. We would fall flat on our faces in search of answers from the same God who brought us all together. Was it difficult? WITHOUT A DOUBT (and it still is even with the progress we've made). The first month was more than we could wrap our minds around---much harder than we ever imagined BC (before China)--but I think the most important thing is this. If rewinding the clock to September 9 were a possibility, would we still board the same bird to China and do it all over again to become her forever family? ABSOLUTELY! What an indescribable privilege it has been to watch her blossom over the past two weeks. They tell us the hardest part is behind us and we are starting to truly believe they are right.

I have photos to share and more stories to tell but for now this will have to suffice. Again, many thanks to those who have supported us so well over the past month. Some of you have heard the good, the bad and the incredibly ugly--both close friends and complete strangers with similar adoption experiences. Your unwavering friendship means the world to us.

18 comments:

Lisa said...

Rejoicing with you! What a blessing.

As an adoptee I am so thankful Mei Mei has a loving, Godly family as I did.

May God continue to bless your family.

Lisa Q

Becky said...

You have certainly been on my heart and in my prayers since I discovered your blog. Your maturity is obvious as well as your compassion for what this little girl has gone through in her short life. Congratulations to all 5 of you! Hey! Maybe your wild man does deserve a little bro some day!

Kara said...

SOOOOOO glad to hear of everyone's progress! You have been in my thoughts. Only God and His timing will heal those wounds for her. Glad for the update.

Cheri said...

I'm so glad to read your post! Yes, adoption is difficult, exhilerating, fulfilling all rolled up together. And we'd never change that path. Can't wait to hear more!

Cheri

lpiccoli said...

Mommy, glad to hear things are getting better. You and the Chief are wonderful parents, the ones God has chosen for MeiMei.

Hang in there.

Hugs,

Laura

Mommy to Samantha & Madison said...

Hello my friend! Glad to hear things are "turned around" and are getting better! We've had our challeges too (mainly on mommy's part - LOL) but Madison and Samantha are both doing extremely well. Madison has really settled into her forever family relatively quickly! I'm back to work come Monday so that will be another challenge in and of its self. I'll email soon.

Hugs from Minnesota!

Holli said...

So glad to hear from you...can't wait to see more pictures! Some of the best memories are being made right now!

Sissy said...

I'm so glad you posted an update. I had been watching to see when you would post next and I am soooo happy that things are going better. I know it hasn't been easy and I have been praying for you all along.

Steve n Coco said...

P-T-L is all I can say!!

God bless you as you keep truckin along :)

Courtney

Lola Granola said...

So lovely to hear! We had that physical thing, with both Wyatt and Lily--always touching her face, grabbing her hands, trying to carry her around. It was so frustrating, because on the one hand, I could see why Rory hated it so much, and on the other, neither Lily nor Wy was really doing anything wrong (although I can see now that some of that was pent-up aggression...). It did wear off, a little more slowly than I would have expected.

Little brother, huh? I keep having to promise Wyatt that we will go back to china some day, but we will not go back to quarantine, nor will we bring home any more siblings.

Jodee said...

I am so glad to hear things are getting better. What an amazing journey you are on! Hang in there!

Rachel Spence said...

SO glad there is obviously a light at the end of the tunnel. I am amazed of all you have been through and your AWESOME attitude. Sweet Mei Mei is already such a perfect little fit to your family. :)

Mrs. Phillips said...

It sounds like my prayers for your family are coming true. I am so happy for you. I know we are complete strangers but i have a favor to ask in return. I've been dealt a hard blow and NEED many prayers my way. I've been diagnosed with stage 4 non small cell carcinamom...metastisized lung cancer form my kidney. I was told last week not to return to my job the next day, spend time with my family and settle my affairs. I had no symptoms...this was found by accident. I start agressive chemo next week. The doctors have little hope. To say the least, I am devastated. My family is my life. I miss my students already. I am a strong person but as I told my daughter...i will fight this with all I am but cannot make any promises. This really is in God's hands. If you are on FB, feel free to join a group that has been established to keep everyone updated..."Friends of Monica Phillips." No need to respond...i know you are busy. I am just asking for prayers.

Anonymous said...

Nice hearing from you!
Can't wait until the next update!

How was halloween?

Kim said...

Finally! Thanks for the update! I thought you might have fallen off the face of the earth . . . except for the emails I've gotten - hehe! Now, get that kid over here! I want to eat her up!

Amy K. said...

Your post made me cry. I am so glad MeiMei is coming around!!! I'm sure those sweet giggles are like music to your ears. Thinking of your family...

Amy (and Libby)

Flamingo said...

i'm so glad for this update! wow. it is soooo hard isn't it? no one can prepare you can they? the siblign thing gets osoooooo much better.

and as for the parents...it does get so much easier...there are still days and hours that i'm still like hmmm...

6 months home goes soo fast and it so amazingly normal.

you are doing fabulous. you are still saying..."yes i would do this again>" at at less than 2 months home? yes, you are doing well:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I've been checking...I love that Lil' Miss loves her little sister so much! So sweet! Hang in there...I'm thinking of you!

Love,
Amy in CO