Sunday, July 22, 2012

China Day 11: Free Day on Shamian Island

Today was the first day we've had without an official appointment or responsibility since we landed in China.  We enjoyed a lazy morning, talked to the girls at home and made it to the breakfast buffet before it closed at 10.  YAY for us!

We took a taxi to Shamian Island and spent a couple of hours there visiting the shops and making a few important China purchases.  We were SO happy to see our friend Michael was still in business.  He took great care of us last time we were here (or I guess we took great care of him--haha).  When we left China with Mei Mei he gave us a scroll with the characters "Love, Joy and Happiness" as a thank you.  I was so happy to tell him I finally found a place for it hanging on the wall in our new son's room.  He was thrilled to hear it.







The feel of the island is definitely different this time.  It is still beautiful but just not the same.  I noticed many more local people out and about.  The bride's and photographers were still in full force.  We could see the ceilings and walls were completely gutted from The White Swan Hotel.  The Starbucks was crowded but with locals instead of adoptive families.  The Victory Hotel looked like a ghost town.  The shop owners were SO THRILLED to see us come in.  I could tell they didn't have as much wiggle room to barter as they did our last trip.  I wish we had more to "contribute" to their livelihood this time but it is what it is.  Only the necessities for us. 

It took us FOREVER to get a taxi on the island.  Last time there were taxi's everywhere but they aren't waiting around as they once were.  Once we made it back to the hotel we decided against a nap time and gave the boys a snack instead.  It was so late we were hoping for an early bedtime.  Little Buddy ate his snack and the next thing we knew he was like this...


Bless him.  He sleeps with his eyes open so it's hard to tell if he's truly asleep or being a stinker.  He stayed like this for 45 minutes so he was definitely out cold.  Sweet boy...

We met a large group of adoptive families at Tekila Mexican Restaurant tonight.  We had so much fun meeting new friends and their beautiful children.  Little Buddy wasn't the most cooperative so I spent much of the time walking and bouncing.  We are having quite a time finding things he will eat for dinner.  Breakfast and lunch are fine but real food is the problem.  This boy needs some serious protein so we'll have to find something soon besides congee and bananas.

The big boys are now gone swimming with another family and Little Buddy and I are getting ready for bed.  Yes, it is 8 pm and this Momma is whipped.  I love it here but I miss my girls so much.  My Mei Mei told me she didn't like me today.  Broke my heart.  They are the bravest girls and have been SO GOOD while we've been here but I think we are all hitting our wall.  Four more sleeps and we are on a plane bound for home.  I don't want to wish away my time in China but is it Thursday yet?  We have what we came for and we are ready to get this party of SIX started ASAP.

Goodnight from China...
M

4 comments:

Rach said...

You'll be home before you know it WITH your caboose. Womble Party of SIX coming up....

Mommy to Samantha & Madison said...

I have loved following your journey to Little Buddy! Oh the pictures of Shamian Island bring back so many memories of our times there! I miss China!!!!!

Sonja said...

That picture of LB just cracked me up! Kid was sacked out:) Not long now! Can't wait!!

Beyond Blessed said...

I can only imagine how exhausted you guys are. I am continuing to pray. Love you.