Tuesday, February 5, 2008

One brave boy...

This morning I took J for his first Kindergarten screening. We took MG to Daddy's office to hang out so it was just me and my little man. He was so excited on the way there asking all kinds of Kindergarten questions. I tried to explain to him he has about six more months before he actually stays at a big boy school. Today the teachers wanted to meet him and ask him a few questions. Well, there was no convincing him. He was going to Kindergarten TODAY. Here is our conversation as we got out of the van and walked toward the front steps of the school...

J: Hurry up Mommy! Unbuckle my seat! We have to go to Kindergarten!
M: OK, buddy. Mommy's trying to hurry. [unbuckle seatbelt] OK, let's go.
J: [jumps out of the van and walks quickly toward the front steps...then slows down and reaches for my hand]
J: Mommy?
M: Yes, J?
J: I think this is a little nervous
M: What buddy?
J: I THINK this is a little nervous
M: You mean you are feeling a little nervous?
J: Yes, I think SO
M: It's OK buddy. You'll go with the teacher when they call your name. You'll be nice and respectful and answer the questions they ask you. No silly stuff, OK?
J: OK, Mommy. But what if they ask me and I don't know?
M: Well, if you do not know the answer then you just tell them you don't know. You don't have to know all the answers. You just have to try your best.
J: OK, Mommy. If they ask me a question and I don't know then I'll just say "I don't know".
M: That's right J
J: OK, Mommy. [long pause and a deep breath] I think I'm ready to go to Kindergarten
[still gripping my hand we walked up the steps together to go to "Kindergarten"]

Isn't that just the sweetest thing you've ever heard? I was a little nervous for him too so I didn't realize how sweet that conversation was until we were on our way home. Anybody have a Kleenex? I could use one right now.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Aww... sweet boy. By the time screening #2 rolls around, both he & Jacob will be pros at this. =)

Heather said...

SUCH a big day. We just registered for Kindergarten and so I know how "a little nervous" it can be. It sounds like he's all ready to go, though!

Anonymous said...

how sweet!